WELCOME!

What is Pinoy? It's a slang for Filipino, a person who comes from the Republic of the Philippines, or commonly known as the Philippine Islands (PI). I am a Filipino and works as an Oracle DBA in the United States. Whenever an issue arises or just for experiments, I usually forget what I did to solve/conduct them. There must be a central location where I can put everything. Thus, this blog was born. It's a collection of ideas, tips and tricks, scripts, or anything interesting that happened to me on an Oracle database or any other stuff.

The simpler, the better! has always been my motto. You don't have to complicate things. Simple things, for me, is always easier, just like my site.

FYI, anything that is written here is based on my personal experiences and is not endorsed by any other party. Also, I will not be held liable for issues that can arise by following whatever I did. Just like any other good DBA would say... ALWAYS TEST!

Hope you can find this site helpful in whatever you need and remember, I am not a guru.

Nov 13, 2015

SOLR data/index Directory Growing

We are using SOLR 3.3, and everyday the data directory on most of the slaves is growing. Investigation showed that there were several index directories with the name format as index.YYYYMMDDHHMISS (I may be missing something but it's in that format); newest is today, and the oldest is 3 months ago.

Usually, SOLR segments are in a directory named index but ours doesn't show any. All of them was named index.YYYY*. So, I checked the index.properties file to determine which index directory SOLR is using, then deleted the others.

However, this didn't solve the issue. Our data directory is still huge. Further investigation showed that there are old segments in the data/index directory. I restarted the slaves but it didn't help.

After comparing files, etc., I noticed that the difference between the slaves that has the correct size and those that don't, is the timestamp of the write.lock file. I deleted the write.lock file and forced a DIH process. After the slaves replicated, the old segments are gone. Just a note, there should be at least one document updated on the master for this to work. 

HTH.  

No comments:

Post a Comment